Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cell Phones

This is like a blah day. So is every other day…blah…blah…blah. I am struggling to make the days unique, special, to stop and smell the roses, to live each day to the fullest and wake up saying “It’s a Jesus-filled day.” So I do not know what to write… because my day is not cliché – only blah….but here are some thoughts I had today…very strange.

I was driving out of the campus, talking to my daughter on the cell. I looked around and there were at least 30 people on their cells. It suddenly occurred to me that everyone’s words were sailing through the air – along their predetermined rivers and waves until they are jerked into a thousand electrified wires that drive them to many ears.

Then I looked out the window and a torrent rain of words was coming down, it was blowing toward me as I drove. The lights shone through the heavy torrents and the words parted by the force of the automobile, returning to their assigned spot in the air as they passed. I saw a few of them “your kidding!!!” and “she told me….” How do those words get through the air and the wires to come out so clearly that I can hear a disappointment or a smile! Amazing!

The air truly is living – it carries the breath of God, the words of everyone who ever cried at birth and the cosmic power of the one true Word.

I wonder if someone stood on the precipice of the Alps with a pair of stich-mastery leiderhosen and yodeled “Ricola” , listened to the echo ,and wondered how words go across the air; then had an ahah moment that changed the world.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I will never doubt where Emma's (and, ahem, I guess my own) imagination comes from :)