Friday, September 25, 2009

The Lights Went Out

So…the lights went out and we were in the dark. With a puff and a pop and a flash of light, a typical 9:00 p.m. instantly became an eerie darkened world. Was it an EMP attack? A dirty bomb? A drunk driver crashing into the main switch – yes this seemed more likely.

Funny how such incidents bring the neighbors to the streets – especially the men. We, who relish in our independent and rebellious ways – the monarchy of the Bucklew clan - are no exception it is sad to say. Once we found our flashlights and lit a candle or two so we could find our way, Bill and I handled the situation completely differently but we both ended up in the streets with the rest of the neighbors.

Bill
Out to the streets he goes - with his special flashlights – one in each hand and one in his pocket. The men bring their beer – Bill felt somehow less – he didn’t have one. They talk about all the possibilities that caused it and recall the many other incidents that pulled them out of their caves to the streets. They size each other up to determine who can help who and who is a weenie. They talked about their tools and what they could do if the electricity doesn’t come back on. The plan was forming.

Kathy
I decided I might as well hit the bed – since I cannot be productive. But on the way I am telling Bill – who is already outside unbeknownst to me, my thoughts about pioneer days and Bible days when there were no lights. “I suppose they slept earlier and rose earlier to make the most use of the sunlight” I said. “I wonder if you get used to not seeing much at night – I mean, I don’t suppose you could read all that well or sew, - I wonder how the evenings were passed – perhaps looking at stars.” “Bill? Bill? BI--L--L!!” So I put my britches back on and the hat with the light on it and went looking for my caveman.

The ladies were venturing out of their houses and they quickly joined the conversation. What were you doing when the lights went out? We told everyone all the things we were not going to get finished. A movie – A shower - The dishes – “Thank goodness the kids were sleeping,” said one neighbor. Well – the Electric Department showed up outside the neighborhood. So the party was over. We said our good-byes knowing that next time – be it a few months or a year we would meet again – same time – same station.

2 comments:

claibornes corner said...

That is soooo funny about the Cave men and their flashlights! And I'd kill to have a picture of you in a "coal miners" hat!!

Christy said...

Nice. I can hear you now - "Billlll!!"