Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Morning After

I have been conspicuously absent from blogging. My work world has been crazy and my personal life as well.

Work
I have been planning for Polk Community College’s graduation. I have planned plenty of events – including plenty of graduations….but this one is different – you see we have a college President that no one ever wants to disappoint. She is amazing, energetic, insightful in every kind of way, and sees every detail you do not. Regardless of my stellar organizational skills. (I would put stellar in quotes but I follow this blog: The Blog of Unnecessary Quotations), I must ultimately depend on others to do the tasks. I have had my most necessary employees for this event out for two months. I am training two new employees. AND it is difficult to depend on volunteers as they drop like flies the day of the event. Then you must factor in the three or four who don’t do what you carefully scripted and trained them to do.
So on Friday I picked up checks, got Board of Trustee reservations, met with the Center where graduation was held, found a garbage can, counted reserved parking places, stopped by to pay for food at Chick-fil-A, picked up a large roll of tape, met with the sound technician and sang into the mike for the initial sound check (this was a disaster as I have no pitch), swept up broken glass, put signs out to point the way, moved 22 chairs, answered 13 phone calls – hour one with 11 more to go.

Home Life
My amazing and darling little parents provided quite the family emergency. Over Thanksgiving, my father had heart failure - in the garage of my brother’s house in Cumming, Georgia on our way out the door to come home. I did what I knew of CPR. The ambulance came – he barely made it to the hospital. In short, we had to leave them in the care of my brother and most wonderful and gracious sister-in-law (okay – skip the in-law part…this is definitely my “sissy” – and forget that blog!!!) – God bless them. So there were multiple trips to Georgia amid the Graduation event. Last night ended it all with a most precious timAlign Centere to decorate my parents home and tree. Mom and I put ornaments up and she told me about each one.

And now – Christmas.


The morning after Graduation

Okay - the real truth of it all.


Guess who got all the sleep

2 comments:

Christy said...

Hilarious! I follow that blog too :)

claibornes corner said...

I'm so glad you have some time off now - you are amazing in the care of Mom and Dad!