Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Cooking

There are a few definitely "for the girls" Christmas traditions in the Bucklew family. We find a day for Christmas pajama shopping. We all buy some kind of Christmas PJ outfit and wear them sometimes for Christmas baking and sometimes just for Christmas morning. We all go to Christy and Chris's house where the kids can enjoy Christmas in their home. All the girls wear their PJ's.

We sometimes wear them for cookie baking. It just makes cookies taste - well - more Christmasy when you have Christmas regalia on in the baking process. Over the years we have let the PJ bake “wear” fall to the more favored Christmas aprons for baking.

Christy and I, without fail have baked for 32 Christmas's together. Emma, for 8 of them and Sarah and Mindy joined in as they joined the Bucklew clan. My mother and I baked Christmas cookies – not so regularly but often enough that I remember it. She joins us too. Some years one or the other of my daughters-in-law hasn’t made it - but this year it was all of us. It was the best baking year ever!

All my girls are at home in my kitchen. We all do the kitchen dance...in a way that baffles the Bucklew male who hovers around the kitchen at the first scent of his annual delights. You see, my little galley kitchen requires that each of us can anticipate where the other is going and what that sweet darling baker needs - a hot pad, a wet rag, the salt, a measuring spoon, an egg from the frig . We fill this need and that need while we smoothly continue our task of pulling a cookie sheet out of the oven, rinsing the mixer sticks, spreading parchment paper for cooling....Of course someone is anticipating our needs too. It is a living drama of perfect Christmas harmony and merriment.

We make some tried and true recipes that are requirements to the guys – then we test this or that recipe, keeping some and throwing others out. This year we are testing names for a new favorite brought by Sarah. The girls like the name – lumps of coal. The boys – reindeer poop.

So here are a few shots from various years. This year will go down in history as one of my favorite nights. I took 60 seconds to watch the girls do the kitchen dance and it filled me with pride!

I wish I had taken a photo every year from the beginning – to watch the baking change – in years past it could include one of the boys, or an aunt, or just Christy and me. But it always happened every year – for 32 years.
2008

2008


2006


2006

2003





2002


2001
2000



1980


7 comments:

Christy said...

OH - I love this! I especially love the 2003 photo. Those curly little piggy tails. Oh my. I can't believe they're already gone!

claibornes corner said...

Oh my Gosh - I love those old pictures - My mother used to always bake cookies - I did one year but now I just eat them!

Penny Sue said...

Way cool....looks like fun...so much fun Im considering adoption..unless of course..my son and I can join...(he loves baking)

Penny Sue said...

Way cool....looks like fun...so much fun Im considering adoption..unless of course..my son and I can join...(he loves baking)

mindy said...

thanks so much for posting these! i forget sometimes that i've been apart of the Bucklew family traditions for the past 6 years....these bring back so many great memories!

and my tush looks pretty good in those jeans in the most recent photos, i must say. ;-)

Rose of Sharon said...

What an awesome tradition! I love it. What a neat loving family you have!

60ish and Glad said...

Wow! I should have look at my comments earlier! Thanks all