Saturday, September 20, 2008

Heart-Tuned Friends

Maybe twice in a lifetime – three times if you are lucky – somebody or somebodies come along and make an unforgettable mark in your life. Used to be, these heart-tuned friends became embroidered into your life as part of your yesterdays, today, and tomorrows; an unbroken chain of life. Like Charles Ingals and Isaiah Edwards, the stories of life always included them until the last one of you stands soberly at the gravesite of the other feeling unthreaded and bare.

Now –a-days it is less like embroidery and more like a patch. We wear the patches of our friendships like honor badges and then one day we finally put the patch away because we have others…maybe not as indelible, but at least in our todays instead of yesterdays. We don’t stay in one town, we don’t stay in one job, we don’t even stay in one church or neighborhood – so those somebodies who were the important stuff of our every spare moment, somehow drift out of sight.

Dean and Joann loved to just hang out. We ate together a lot. We spent time talking about the Lord and conjecturing His plan for our lives. I think Bill and Dean rode bikes. I still have a mint brownie and casserole recipes from JoAnn. We shared values, we dreamed about building homes next to each other, moving together to the north Wisconsin woods, hiking and vacationing together. We sacrificed for each other – we went through rough times, we cried together, we grieved together. They stood with us when our first son was born, his godparents by proxy.
I don’t know what happened that we lost touch. We moved, they moved. We moved again, they moved again. There were no emails or cell phones. Bill and I have often thought of them. They have often thought of us. We have always known if ever we found them it would be a day for rejoicing.


Jon's big day. Great photo of JoAnn. Dean?!?!?!??

So JoAnn and Dean, welcome to our tomorrows! We rejoice that your lives have been good. Glad you found me . I want to know more of you. Hope to see you in Wisconsin next time we head that way!

6 comments:

Christy said...

Yay! Even I remember their names.

JoAnn Baumann said...

You are such an eloquent writer and I.......well, I tend to just get to the point of things. I can't tell you how many times we wondered where you all were, what you all were doing, etc. Recently Dean and I were talking about some of the people that have made the biggest impact in our lives, and your names were on that short list! I never would have made it through breastfeeding my 5 boys had I not had your voice in my head, always encouraging and telling me how wonderful it was! Those conversations have lived on for years and each one of my boys has you to thank! You helped introduce us to the Holy Spirit and helped us realize there was more to God than just attending church services. I can't wait until you get back to Wisconsin so we can reconnect and pull out our patches of friendship again!

60ish and Glad said...

Oh thanks for the nice comments! We shall plan the time. We are smack dab in the middle of Florida hour's drive from Disney and 2 hours from either beach.

claibornes corner said...

That is so very nice - we have connected with a couple of old musicians and it's a great feeling.

Penny Sue said...

Kathy that ws touching. You are an elequent writer and this enlightenment was one of your best. From the heart.

You have inspired me many times and I miss you dearly.

60ish and Glad said...

Bless you Penny. I am so glad you stay in touch. I am SOOO---BAD about staying in touch. You know you are special to our family...after all Jon's first car came from you. (That somehow is very meaningful to a guy!)