Saturday, September 13, 2008

Bye-Bye Birdies

I loved putting up my birdie wallpaper. I even took in a piece and had the paint perfectly matched to the paper and my entire house is painted with birdie backdrop color. They are robins sitting on little nests, sparrows on tree branches. So cute.

But today I am not putting them up, I am taking them down. Not fun! Two hours it took for a portion of one small wall. Clean up took almost as much time. I distinctly remember making a decision - I now regret. Bill said, " Do you want to paint on a layer of ???? before putting up that wallpaper." In my ever impatience with doing things the right way I emphatically said no - I want to put wallpaper up right now!

Who would have thought the nomadic Bucklew hippies would actually live somewhere long enough to RE-remodel?

I did not know how valuable ???? was until today. You paint your walls with ???? THEN put up the wallpaper. Ten years later when you are ready to peel it down, it comes down in long big satisfying sheets rather than micro-specks of paper mache mess collecting at your feet and all over your clothes as you pick, and peel little tiny pieces.

But the birdies must go Bye-Bye. The paper is peeling and looks old....ten hard years of kitchen life. I have no idea what I will put up next... By the time I get the wallpaper down....we probably will be moving on.

3 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Oh no - I loved those birdies!! I would have just painted over the wall paper!!!

60ish and Glad said...

Bill wouldn;t let me do that! You never paint over wallpaer or tile over linoleum.

Christy said...

I never would have thought you'd be there long enough to replace the wallpaper either. It's a record for sure!