Friday, October 19, 2007

A New Fence

It was 2:22 am when the call came. The caller asked if I had the house for sale off Pipkin Road. All I could think was, “This is blogworthy! A house sale call in the middle of the night.” I tried to wake up enough to sound as though a call for the house was not unusual at 2:22 am. “Yes…” He was breathing heavily and obviously outside on a cell phone. Suddenly fear gripped my hair follicles and I realized I was in a hotel in Orlando and my husband was snoring in our bed, vulnerable to this quacko.

Did he have a gun? Was he going to rob us and shoot Opie? (Opie is my 4 pound poodle love.) Okay. Okay. My second thought was ….or my hubbie? How can I warn him while I keep this quacko on the phone?

He continued, “Someone just crashed into your back fence and I think you had better get out here now.” As fast as the hair went up – it went down. I called Bill – 2:26 am. He was up and had taken one of his 11 trusty flashlights out in the back yard and discovered the shocking mess.

Both dogs having been counted as safe, he blocked their exit. Not to worry, Buster the wonder dog was hiding behind the blanket making his barking-growling-howling noises. Hubbie went out to meet the FHP and get the scoop on the now abandoned vehicle.

All in all, this registrar’s conference in Orlando must have been providence. It would have made a terrible night for the hubbie had I been home and experienced it all first-hand. He is much braver than I.




So – I guess we get a new fence. That is interesting, exciting, annoying, and inconvenient. But I think I will put lights on a new fence for Christmas. Yeah!

5 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Oh Dear!!! That's a mess but a new fence will be nice. Is the house for Sale???? Where are you going?

Christy said...

11 flashlights? Are you sure you didn't under-count?

60ish and Glad said...

Well, dear, there are 11 in the bedroom. I didn't mention the other collections in strategic locations around the house.

We are for sale, Sissy, but we are not going anywhere!! Just testing the waters.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Brings new meaning to the term "mending fences." :)

60ish and Glad said...

Now that is really - really funny!