Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Airport Games

Something odd about an airport. I am sitting in my favorite one - Charlotte. Full of self-importance racing from one end of the terminal to the next. Men in particular. I used to be impressed with busy men in dark suits carrying briefcases and talking business as they rushed. Now I realize that most of them are posers each trying to impress the other. I love to "play their game". It's like truth or dare. We share stories back and forth - none or few of them real. Maybe they are less stories and more dreams.

"Yeah, my wife and I just bought a cottage on Myrtle Beach." Then I ask him where is home - it is usually some benign place like Lincoln, NE. Now, you and I both know he did not buy a cottage on the beach- 1500 miles from home - especially if he is flying coach and rolling a computer bag that says, M.E.G. Valves and Hoses.

But the game is basically sharing random pieces about your life and seeing who can get the biggest , "Oh yeah!" from the other. It has to be the right kind of "Oh, Yeah!" Can't be the kind that says "I don't believe that!", or "Ho-Hum - I am only half-listening." It has to be the "Oh Yeah" that says "I'm a wee bit jealous of you." or "I'm impressed. Keep talking." It doesn't matter if what you share is true or not - as long as the other person veiws it as believable. Now those of you who know me - know I am REALLY good at this game!

My other favorite airport activity is watching folks. Charlotte is lined with white rockers in the terminal hub and down some of the concourses - as though you have time between flights to sit and ponder life in the fastlane! They are usually filled though. Folks with delayed flights, missed flights, long layovers from poor scheduling. Rockers are suppose to reduce stress and make you thing of the "good ole days" or reflect on happy things like why butterflies are beautiful and what you are cooking for supper. But I enjoy examining folks in the rockers. I make up stories about who they are and where they are going. I wonder why they chose the rocker instead of a table and chairs near the piano bar in the terminal hub.

So that is the end of my evening. Can't wait to go home. I still don't want to travel for my work. That was a tough two years.

2 comments:

Christy said...

The fact that you make up stories about the people you see is probably related to the fact that you are so good at the airport game....

Penny Sue said...

Another reason you are so good at this game is your adorably bubbly personality. YOu love to laugh and bring smiles to others faces. You ara a joy to be around and have inspired me time and time again. I miss you and your charming family as well
penny